Los Angeles Jackknife Accident Lawyer
At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Los Angeles jackknife accident lawyer has the professional skills and legal experience that you can count on in even the most complex of cases. Many jackknife crashes are caused by negligence on the part of the truck driver or truck company. If you or your loved one was involved in a serious crash with a jackknifed truck, we are here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation with a top-rated Los Angeles truck accident attorney.
An Overview of Jackknife Truck Accidents
Jackknife accidents are potentially serious crashes. They often occur at relatively high rates of speed and/or on busy roadways. Broadly speaking, a jackknife crash is an accident wherein a truck towing a trailer loses control of that trailer thereby causing the trailer to swing around and form a sharp angle with the truck. These crashes are so named because the shape of the truck when the trailer slides around resembles a folding pocket knife. Some of the most common reasons why jackknife accidents happen in Los Angeles, CA include:
- Abrupt Braking: Sudden braking can cause the wheels to lock up and the truck to skid. It can cause a jackknife accident. By ensuring adequate distance between vehicles and gradual deceleration, truckers can dramatically reduce the risk of a jackknife crash.
- Improper Speed—Especially on Curves: Failure to adjust speed on curved roads can lead to a trailer swing-out, causing the driver to lose control and potentially result in a jackknife. Truckers in California should always operate at a safe speed.
- Equipment Failure: Equipment issues can contribute to jackknifes. Malfunctioning brakes, bad tires, or other mechanical issues are risks. Regular and thorough maintenance checks can help to ensure that these issues are identified and addressed.
Understanding Liability for a Jackknife Accident in California
If you were involved in a jackknife semi-truck accident in Los Angeles, you need to know your rights under California law. Here are three key points to know about the claims process:
- Liability is Derived Based on Fault: In California, the person or entity responsible for the accident is held liable. If a truck driver’s negligence caused the jackknife accident, they would bear the responsibility for the damages and injuries. Every jackknife crash in Southern California should be carefully investigated by a top attorney.
- Comparative Negligence Applies: Our state follows a comparative negligence system. Even if the victim is found partially at fault, damages are still recoverable. That being said, any compensation can be reduced by their percentage of fault in the accident.
- A Two-Year Statute of Limitations: Under state law (California Code of Civil Procedure § 335.1), a two-year window from the time of the jackknife to initiate a claim in California. Be proactive: Consult with a top Los Angeles truck accident lawyer right away.
We Help Truck Accident Victims in Los Angeles Maximum their Compensation
Hurt in a jackknife crash in Los Angeles? It is imperative that you are able to secure the absolute maximum financial compensation. California law allows for the recovery of economic losses and non-economic damages in a truck accident claim. You may be eligible to obtain compensation for:
- Vehicle repairs;
- Emergency care;
- Hospital hills;
- Other health costs;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Long-term disability; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Why Trust the Los Angeles Semi-Truck Accident Attorneys at Personal Injury Legal Group
Jackknife accident claims are notoriously complex. Unfortunately, you cannot rely on a trucking company or its commercial insurance carrier to look out for your best interests. At Personal Injury Legal Group, we are on the side of the people who need help the most—victims and their families. Our team is proactive. Among other things, our Los Angeles truck accident attorney is ready to:
- Listen to what you have to say and answer legal questions about your injury claim;
- Investigate your jackknife crash—securing the evidence to prove fault and damages;
- Represent you throughout the claims process, including handling the insurers; and
- Take your semi-truck accident claim as far as needed to get the very best results.
Speak to Our Los Angeles Jackknife Accident Lawyer Today
At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Los Angeles jackknife accident attorney is standing by, ready to protect your rights. Hurt in a jackknife accident? You deserve the maximum financial compensation. Contact our Los Angeles personal injury attorney today to set up your free, no-obligation initial consultation. From our law office in Los Angeles, we handle jackknife accident claims throughout Southern California.