Los Angeles Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer
At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Los Angeles fatal truck accident attorneys are compassionate, justice-focused advocates for grieving families. Our firm has extensive experience handling complex wrongful death claims. Negligent trucking companies and their insurers must be held accountable. Was your loved one killed in a collision with a semi-truck? We are here to handle your legal needs so that you can focus on yourself and your family. Contact our Los Angeles law office today for a free, confidential consultation with a Los Angeles wrongful death lawyer.
Know the Data: Fatal Commercial Truck Accidents in California
Commercial trucks are enormous. A tractor-trailer that is carrying the maximum allowable load in California could weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. The large vehicles must always be operated with the utmost level of care. If a crash happens, the consequences can be catastrophic. According to data from the National Safety Council (NSC), there were 437 fatal truck accidents reported in California in 2021 alone. Thousands more people suffer serious injuries in semi-truck accidents each year.
An Overview of California’s Wrongful Death Laws for Fatal Truck Accidents
Was your family member involved in a fatal semi-truck accident in Los Angeles or elsewhere in the surrounding region? The crash must be proactively and comprehensively investigated to determine exactly what happened. Beyond that, you need to know your rights under California’s wrongful death laws. You and your family may have a claim against the truck driver or trucking company. Here is an overview of California’s wrongful death laws for fatal trucking accidents:
- A Wrongful Death Claim is a Civil Cause of Action: In California, a wrongful death claim that arises from a fatal truck accident is a type of civil cause of action. In other words, the at-fault party can be held financially responsible rather than criminally liable. It is a fault-based legal claim. To hold a trucker, trucking company, or any other party liable for a fatal crash, you must prove that their negligence contributed to the collision.
- Only Certain Parties Have Rights Under the Law: A fatal semi-truck accident can affect an enormous number of people. However, unfortunately, not everyone is eligible to file a wrongful death claim in the state of California. In general, the decedent’s spouse, domestic partner, children, and other dependents have the legal right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. However, in certain circumstances, other family members like parents or siblings may also have a claim.
- Surviving Family Members Can Seek Compensation: Surviving family members who are entitled to bring a wrongful death claim can seek compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages in a wrongful death claim include things like out-of-pocket medical costs and funeral and burial expenses. Of course, wrongful death damages are largely non-economic. They include things like loss of love, loss of companionship, loss of parental guidance, and loss of consortium.
- A Two-Year Statute of Limitations for Fatal Accident Claims: California law imposes a two-year statute of limitations for wrongful death claims arising from fatal truck accidents. Here is the key thing to know: Eligible surviving family members must file their lawsuit within two years from the date of the decedent’s death. Failing to file within this timeframe may result in the loss of the right to pursue a claim for a fatal truck accident. Be proactive: Consult with a Los Angeles wrongful death lawyer right away after a crash.
How Our Los Angeles Semi-Truck Accident Attorneys Can Help
The loss of a loved one in a semi-truck accident that never should have happened is one of the most difficult experiences that any person could ever be forced to endure. At Personal Injury Legal Group, we are compassionate, experienced, and justice-driven advocates for grieving families. Your best interests take priority. Among other things, our Los Angeles fatal truck accident lawyer will:
- Hear your story, answer your questions, and explain the wrongful death claims process;
- Investigate the fatal truck accident—gathering the evidence to prove liability; and
- Develop a comprehensive legal strategy to get you and your family justice.
Contact Our Los Angeles Fatal Truck Accident Attorney Today
At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Los Angeles truck accident lawyer is a compassionate, experienced advocate for grieving families. If your loved one was killed in a tractor-trailer crash, we are here to help. Contact our Los Angeles personal injury attorney today to set up your free, no-obligation initial consultation. From our law office in Los Angeles, we handle fatal truck accident claims throughout Southern California.