Los Angeles Cruise Ship Accidents Lawyer
Going on a cruise is a great way to see different parts of the world and to make new friends and memories. Unfortunately, passengers often return home with more than just souvenirs. Cruise ship accidents happen quite often. In fact, according to recent research, approximately 200 deaths occur onboard cruise ships every year. Due to the fact that Los Angeles is a port city, hospitals in the city see thousands of injured cruise ship passengers each year, and so many other port cities throughout the country do, too.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence on a cruise ship, you may have the legal right to file a claim for financial compensation. While any personal injury claim always has the potential to be complex, this is particularly true when a cruise ship is involved in an accident. Our Los Angeles cruise ship accident lawyer at Personal Injury Legal Group can advise you on the laws that apply to these cases and give you the best chance of success with your case.
Personal Injury Legal Group has a team of attorneys licensed to practice in all Florida state and federal courts. Our Florida law offices are close to the port of Miami and Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. With over 80 years of collective injury claim, maritime accident, and wrongful death case experience, our professional legal team is ready to help you navigate your maritime claim or lawsuit. Our firm is also affiliated with qualified, experienced attorneys throughout jurisdictions where we are not admitted to the bar so your case will always be diligently and appropriately handled by a qualified legal professional.
Types of Cruise Ship Accidents
In any given year, there are 20 million cruise ship passengers around the world. With so many people going to sea, it is not surprising that so many accidents happen onboard these ships. The most common types of cruise ship accidents are as follows:
- Trips, slips, and falls
- Accidents on shore
- Pool and drowning accidents
- Automatic door accidents
- Collisions with other boats and vessels in the water
- Legionnaires disease
- Bacterial infections
- Viruses, including COVID-19
- Escalator and elevator accidents
- Sexual assault
- Physical assault
Regardless of how you were injured on a cruise ship, you likely have a right to pursue compensation. Due to the serious nature of injuries sustained on these vessels, it is important to speak to a lawyer right away who can advise on your case.
Common Injuries Caused by Cruise Ship Accidents
On land, it is often difficult for even the best-run companies to continually ensure safety standards across facilities. When the motion of a large cruise ship and the many opportunities for accidents arise, conditions can rapidly become more dangerous. And while unsafe conditions can readily occur, they are no excuse for a crew’s carelessness or negligent behavior.
If you experienced pain and suffering while on a cruise ship and you want to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit in Los Angeles, be advised that doing so may be far more complicated than most other types of personal injury cases. You will need the assistance of a qualified attorney who is seasoned in cruise ship accidents.
The injuries sustained on a cruise ship are often catastrophic, and they can even cause a wrongful death. Some of the most serious injuries are as follows:
- Head trauma, including brain injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Lung damage from drowning and other water-related accidents
- Spinal cord injuries
- Dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Serious burns
- Amputations, whether they are accidental or surgical
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional trauma
Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may need expert medical testimony to prove how they will impact your daily life. A lawyer will have a network of professionals they can reach out to so you obtain the expert advice you need as quickly as possible.
Steps to Take After a Cruise Ship Accident in Los Angeles
When you are on vacation, you never dream that you are going to become seriously injured. After an accident, it is natural to feel confused, angry, and unsure of what to do next. The steps you take soon after an accident, however, can greatly impact your claim. By taking the right steps, you can strengthen your case, while taking the wrong action can greatly hurt it. After a cruise ship accident, the most important steps to take are as follows:
- Seek medical attention: Cruise ships are required to have at least one doctor and two or more nurses onboard. These professionals must meet certain criteria to be able to practice on a cruise ship. The medical staff must also be available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to address the medical needs of passengers. It is critical that you obtain medical attention as soon as possible after any accident. Not only will this prevent your injuries from getting worse, but it will also prove to the insurance company that you were hurt because you sought medical attention.
- Report the incident: You should find the appropriate cruise ship personnel to report the accident to. They may ask you to fill out an accident or incident report. While it is okay to fill this out, you should always ask for a copy as soon as you have completed it. This will ensure the report is not tampered with to shield the cruise ship company from liability.
- Obtain copies of your medical reports: Just like any other doctor, the medical staff onboard a cruise ship will make notes about your condition, the treatment you received, your prognosis, and any recommendations you should follow. Obtain copies of these medical records so you can show them to the insurance company when you get back home.
- Document your injuries: The best way to document your injuries is to take photos of them as soon as you sustain them. Then, as you continue to recover, take pictures of the injuries as they start to heal. You can also start a pain journal and outline within it how your injuries are impacting your day-to-day tasks, as well as your quality of life.
- Locate witnesses and exchange information: Eyewitness testimony is very important to any accident case. As soon as possible after the accident, locate anyone who saw it and ask for their name and contact information.
- Contact our experienced attorneys: At Personal Injury Legal Group, our attorneys have extensive experience helping victims of cruise ship accidents. We will determine who is liable for your injuries and guide you through the claims process, which is often much more complex than it is in other personal injury claims.
Who is Liable for Cruise Ship Accidents?
Liability in a cruise ship accident case depends largely on the type of incident that occurred. For example, if the captain or crew members failed to comply with certain safety standards, they can be held liable for paying damages. Additionally, the companies these individuals work for can also often be held liable for the negligent acts of their employees. This is known as vicarious liability, and it is an important legal concept that allows injured individuals to claim the full compensation they deserve.
In other accident cases, such as if you were injured on an elevator, a third party may be to blame. For instance, if the elevator was defective and that is what caused the accident that resulted in your injury, you can hold the manufacturer liable. Manufacturers have a legal duty to make sure the products they create are safe to use.
Additionally, if another passenger caused your injuries, such as if you were assaulted, they can be held liable. In these cases, there are times when the cruise ship company can also be held liable. For example, if the assault occurred because there was negligent security on the ship, you could hold both your attacker and the company liable for paying damages.
Determining liability after a cruise ship accident is never easy. Using the same elevator example as above, you may assume that the manufacturer is at fault for an accident. However, the cruise ship company may have failed in its duty to make sure the elevator was properly inspected and maintained. In this instance, the cruise ship company would be liable, and not the manufacturer.
Compensation Available After a Cruise Ship Accident in Los Angeles
As with any personal injury lawsuit, you have the right to claim compensation if you are hurt in a cruise ship accident caused by another person’s negligence. These claims are intended to restore your mental, physical, and financial health to the same condition you were in before the accident. Essentially, you have a right to receive compensation for any loss you sustained. Some of the most common types of compensation available after a cruise ship accident are as follows:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages, bonuses, benefits, sick pay, and vacation pay
- Loss of earning capacity, if you cannot return to the same line of work in the future
- Pain and suffering for your physical and mental anguish
If the worst has happened and you have lost someone due to a cruise ship accident, the damages you receive in a wrongful death claim are different from the above damages. A wrongful death claim is intended to compensate you for the losses you sustained after the death of a loved one. If you are successful with a wrongful death claim, you can recover funeral and burial expenses, loss of care and companionship, and the loss of the deceased’s income if you were dependent on it. A Los Angeles cruise ship accident lawyer can review the facts of your case and advise on the different types of compensation you deserve.
At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys Also Focus on the Following Practice Areas:
- Car Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Slip & Falls
- Product Liability
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Uber & Lyft
- Wrongful Death
- Trucking Accidents
- Sports Injury
Kosnett Personal Injury attorneys have deep experience handling cruise line lawsuits involving:
- Damaged cargo
- Injuries to crew members
- Cruise ship-related liabilities
- Off-boat excursion injuries
- Tainted meals/food poisoning
- Walkway/disembarking injuries
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Smaller (tender) boat injuries
- Wrongful death incidents
- And we have successfully litigated cases against popular cruise lines including Carnival Cruise Lines, Crown Princess, Norwegian Cruise Line, and Royal Caribbean
All of our cases are accepted on a contingency basis so you will receive no attorney’s fees unless you are successfully compensated for your case. It is well known that maritime law is considered one of the most complex forms of both legislation and litigation. We are knowledgeable, experienced, and prepared to do what is necessary to win your maritime case. We strongly believe in your right to seek justice and we will use whatever resources are necessary to secure fair and just compensation for your cruise ship accident losses.
Personal Injury Legal Group headquarters are located in Los Angeles with additional offices throughout California. Since 1999, we have been serving clients nationwide, with a concentration in Southern California counties including Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Orange, San Diego, Kern, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Imperial. We also serve Northern California counties of San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, Sacramento, San Mateo, Solano, San Joaquin, Santa Clara, Contra Costa, Napa, Yolo, and Sonoma.
Do Not Hesitate to Call Our Cruise Ship Accidents Lawyer in Los Angeles for Help with Your Case
You went on a cruise for a well-deserved vacation. You certainly did not expect to be involved in an accident that left you in serious injury or that resulted in the loss of a loved one. At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Los Angeles cruise ship accident lawyers can protect your rights and help you obtain the full and fair settlement that is justly yours. Call us now at 310-388-4306 or reach out to us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help.
Frequently Asked Questions for Los Angeles Cruise Ship Accidents
What is considered a cruise ship accident?
A cruise ship accident can be any incident that occurs onboard a cruise ship or during a shore excursion that causes injury or harm to passengers or crew members.
What types of accidents can occur on a cruise ship in California?
Accidents that can occur on a cruise ship in California include slip and falls, collisions with other ships or objects, fires, food poisoning outbreaks, and medical emergencies.
Can passengers file a lawsuit against a cruise line for an accident?
Yes, passengers who are injured in a cruise ship accident in California may be able to file a lawsuit against the cruise line for negligence or other legal grounds.
What should I do if I am injured in a cruise ship accident?
If you are injured in a cruise ship accident , you should seek medical attention immediately and report the incident to the cruise ship staff. It is also important to document the incident and gather contact information from witnesses.
What is the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit for a cruise ship accident in California?
In California, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit is two years from the date of the accident. However, it is important to consult with an attorney to determine the specific time frame for your case.
Can I file a lawsuit if I was injured during a shore excursion in California?
Yes, if you were injured during a shore excursion that was booked through the cruise ship, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the cruise line for negligence or other legal grounds.
Can the cruise line be held responsible for the actions of its employees in a cruise ship accident in California?
Yes, the cruise line can be held liable for the actions of its employees if it can be shown that the cruise line was negligent in hiring, training, or supervising its employees.
What damages can be recovered in a lawsuit for a cruise ship accident in Los Angeles?
Damages that can be recovered in a lawsuit for a cruise ship accident may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related costs.
What is the role of the Coast Guard in investigating cruise ship accidents in California?
The Coast Guard may investigate cruise ship accidents in California to determine the cause and prevent future incidents. The Coast Guard may also work with other agencies and the cruise line to ensure the safety of passengers and crew members.
Should I hire an attorney if I am injured in a cruise ship accident?
It is recommended that you consult with an experienced personal injury attorney if you are injured in a cruise ship accident. An attorney can help you understand your legal options and represent you in any legal proceedings.