Long Beach Personal Injury Attorney
Long Beach is a city full of culture and beauty. Against the gorgeous backdrop, though, accidents still happen. A car crash, slip and fall, or defective product can cause extremely serious injuries. These injuries can have long-lasting consequences for accident victims. In some cases, injured individuals will feel the impacts their entire lives.
If you have been hurt, you should not have to shoulder the burden of paying for your medical expenses, losing income because you cannot return to work, and the other losses you will incur. You can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party, but the process can become very complex. A Long Beach personal injury lawyer will help you overcome the challenges these claims sometimes present.
How Can a Long Beach Personal Injury Lawyer Help?
Many people choose not to work with a personal injury lawyer after being hurt, but this is a mistake. You may understand the losses that you have currently sustained, and you may even know who is liable for paying compensation. However, you may not realize the future losses you will incur or how to prove that someone else was at fault.
A personal injury lawyer will advise you of your rights after an accident and help you assert them. An attorney will also work tirelessly to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. They will prepare court documents, provide guidance, handle court appearances, and help you determine which legal avenue to pursue. A personal injury lawyer will handle every aspect of your claim while always working in your best interests so you obtain the full and fair damages to which you are entitled.
Types of Cases Our Long Beach Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
Our personal injury lawyers have extensive experience with many different types of personal injury cases. The most common of these include:
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Truck and commercial vehicle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Train accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Product liability claims
- Motorcycle accidents
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Cruise ship accidents
- Wrongful death
Important Personal Injury Laws in Long Beach
There are many state laws that govern personal injury claims in Long Beach. The most important of these are as follows:
- A person is responsible for paying damages when they act negligently or recklessly.Negligence is the legal concept that refers to failing to take the ordinary care of a reasonable person in the same circumstances.
- There is no legal definition of reasonable conduct. A judge or jury will determine when actions are unreasonable. When a person violates a law, such as speeding over the posted limit, it is strong evidence of negligence.
- Accident victims have the legal right to claim compensation from the party that acted negligently or recklessly.
- State law does not provide a cap, or limit, on the amount of compensation available in personal injury lawsuits. The only exception to this is non-economic damages in medical malpractice lawsuits.
- Punitive damages are available when the at-fault party has shown gross negligence, but this type of compensation is rare.
Accepting a Personal Injury Settlement vs. Going to Trial
The vast majority of personal injury cases settle out of court. The insurance company may contact you shortly after an accident and offer a settlement. Initial settlement offers are not usually enough to fully cover the cost of your injuries and other losses. If you accept and need more compensation in the future, you cannot go back to the insurance company, as settlement agreements are final. A lawyer can negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf so you are not left covering full expenses.
When the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, you may have to go to trial. During a trial, your lawyer will make arguments and present evidence that strengthens your case. The other side will also present evidence and make arguments to shield them from blame and reduce or eliminate the damages they must pay. Once both sides have been heard, a judge or jury will determine whether the defendant acted negligently and the amount of damages you deserve.
A settlement can still be negotiated during the trial, right up until the point that a decision is given by the jury or judge. Settlements are often beneficial for accident victims because they allow victims to receive the compensation they need more quickly. A settlement is also a form of guarantee, as judges and juries can be very hard to predict. Still, there are times when liable parties, and the insurance companies that provide them coverage, refuse to act in good faith. In these instances, going to trial is sometimes the only way to obtain fair compensation.
How Much is a Personal Injury Claim Worth?
There is no way to determine how much a personal injury claim is worth without first fully examining the facts of the case. However, there are some guidelines you can follow to estimate the value of your claim. These include:
- The cost of your current and future medical expenses
- Your lost income if you could not return to work
- Your loss of earning capacity if you cannot return to the same line of work
- The cost to repair or replace your property
- The amount of pain and suffering you endured
Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Long Beach Can Help You Claim Full Damages
At Personal Injury Legal Group, our Long Beach personal injury lawyers can provide the sound legal advice you need after an accident. We will also always work hard to help you obtain the full damages you deserve. Call us now at 310-388-4306 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.